The challenge for Frontera would be cooling this new system with the pre-existing air-cooling infrastructure in the facility. As Frontera would be 3x times denser than the existing Stampede2 system and air cooling would not be sufficient to cool the high-powered CPUs, the TACC Frontera team worked with us to deliver a high-density liquid cooling solution.
- Most powerful academic U.S. supercomputer, with a theoretical 35-40 PFLOPs peak performance
- #5 on the Top 500 Supercomputers in the World
- Frontera Supercomputer liquid cooling technology:
- 91x racks with direct liquid cooled Dell EMC PowerEdge C6420 servers with factory installed Passive Coldplate Loops
- 91x RD020 Active Rear Door Heat Exchangers, managing heat from all other components
- 9x row based CDU
- 3x custom secondary fluid networks below the racks