POSITION: Intermediate Thermal Mechanical Engineer
JOB TYPE: Fulltime, Permanent
LOCATION: Calgary, AB
REPORTS TO: Engineering Team Lead – Component Design Team.
EDUCATION: Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: 5% once restrictions are lifted
Founded in Calgary, Alberta in 2001, CoolIT Systems Inc. is the world leader in liquid cooling technology. Today, CoolIT’s technology is disrupting the inefficient, expensive, and outdated paradigm of using air to keep electronics cool. We work with the biggest names in the technology industry to enable high-performance data centers and desktop computers that are used for everything from solving science’s most complex problems to delivering the latest high-end entertainment experiences.
As the global leader in scalable liquid cooling technology for desktop computers and data centers, CoolIT expects to continue our strong growth trend in 2022. With a record-breaking open order book and an average YoY revenue growth rate of 60% since 2016, there’s never been a more exciting time to join our team.
We strive to be an employer of choice and as such we believe in rewarding our employees with career and development opportunities that will maintain and strengthen our culture while aligning to our vision and values. We are a company that is full of vibrant, innovative people who love what we do.
At CoolIT, our Vivid Vision is perhaps the most important document we possess, and we reference it daily. The Vivid Vision brings us together and aligns our efforts, intentions, and definition of success. As we grow, the need to have a unified cause and direction is more vital than ever, and the Vivid Vision is exactly that. This is where we are going and this is how we will know when we get there. Our Vivid Vision is based on three pillars:
- Dream: An innovation beacon, authority and educator to industry
- People: Bright passionate team members pursuing dreams, thinking different and finding a better way
- Culture: Delivering on what we promise, on-time, every time
The primary responsibility of this role is to work with the Engineering, Program, and Project management teams to develop and design custom liquid cooling products for our customers.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who is passionate about problem solving, takes ownership over their work, is a team plater, feels intrigued by the prospect of contributing to the future of scalable computer cooling solutions, and is keen on playing a significant role in product development for next generation data center cooling products.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and understand Product & Project Requirements at project kick-off.
- Follow all documented processes to ensure ISO-9001 compliance standards are met.
- CAD duties: authoring and reviewing 2D drawings and 3D models, sometimes in a supervisory role.
- Prepare early design concepts and contribute to product architecture.
- Develop and review plans to manufacture, test, and verify the operation of new components, systems, and overall products.
- Thoroughly document all aspects of a design.
- Enter design specification data into our Solidworks PDM and Arena PLM databases.
- Understand and conduct system level design for pumping & cooling systems.
- Conduct or support CFD, Structural FEA, and thermal models.
- Conduct and participate in lab testing and verification, sometimes in a supervisory role.
- Collaborate with the Validation & Verification Engineering team to ensure that Regulatory and Environmental compliance standards are met.
- Engage in and lead meetings and presentations with customers.
- Verify and implement the correct use of design and drafting standards.
- Support the submission of ECN and ECR documentation.
- Support the upkeep of Solidworks templates and tools.
- Perform other duties as necessary to support the team.
- Strong desire to work in a fast-paced technology company focused on increasing speed-to-market & production efficiency and reducing finished product cost.
- Strong focus on product quality.
- Knowledge of design for manufacturability and assembly (DFM/DFA) concepts.
- Experience with thermal analysis and CFD; proficiency is an asset.
- Experience with structural FEA; proficiency is an asset.
- Experience with Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (dFMEA); proficiency is an asset.
- Proficient in CAD tools, specifically Solidworks.
- Knowledge & understanding of material science and structural design.
- Experience with static and dynamic analysis & testing (i.e. shock & vibration, thermal testing, pressure testing).
- High attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to confront clients in meetings and respond well to questions.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and utilize planning & time management skills to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Experience and training with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) would be an asset.
- Experience using Solidworks PDM would be an asset.
- Experience using Arena PLM would be an asset.
- Base knowledge of cooling strategies used in the data center industry is an asset.
Applications submitted without requested documents will not be considered. We thank every candidate in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.